Friday, January 6, 2017

Weekly Art Project Week One

Brenda Gael Smith has been undertaking a Weekly Art Project for about 16 weeks and she has been encouraging others to join in.  I have decided to join and make a mini quilt each week.  I am planning 9in by 12 inches. In thinking about my first piece I took a photo last week and posted on Instagram (I post as #oceanbluetextiles7)of a very large paperbark tree at the end of my street.




I also put up on my design wall a quilt top that I made in a Nancy Crow Workshop in New Zealand a few years ago and the technique I used also inspired me.


So I went to look in my hand dye scrap pieces (smaller than a quarter yard) and found a green fabric I had dyed and patterned and I also found some rust fabric I had done.  I then worked on my piece with a minimal drawing to guide me.  I am trying to use my sketchbook more!  I used valdani 12 ply to hand quilt the piece. I decided to bind the mini quilt this time but may become adventurous in the future and follow Brenda's tutorial on attaching to an art piece to a canvas.  So here is my first Challenge Piece.


Now to get busy on next week's piece!
Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Weekly Art Project Rebecca. What fun to see that my tutorial has already been put to good use. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Brenda for organising this Project and the wonderful Tutorial.

    ReplyDelete